Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, June 28

Interview With A Newly Natural Goddess: Ericka W.

One of my childhood friends just went natural! Like me, she thought about doing it a while before she actually did. I asked her a few questions to find out why now was the right time.

Why did you decide to go natural?
I decided to go natural for a few reasons. 1) I was tired of the rigorous routine of shampooing, conditioning and wrapping my hair--then sitting under the dryer, blowing dry the parts that were still wet, straightening my hair with my CHI iron, then curling it with a regular curling iron and re-wrapping it. Whew! 2) I wanted to work on making my natural hair healthy. 3) After getting my hair permed for 19 years, I wanted to see what my natural hair looked like.

How long was it from the time you thought about going natural until you actually did it?
I initially had the thought last summer when my sister decided she was going to cut her daughter's perm off and grow out my niece's natural hair. I thought, if a nine-year-old can do it so can I. I committed to the idea on February 13, 2010 (after going through my usual hair washing routine). I originally planned to transition for nine months, but I opted to do the big chop after only four months!

Were you worried about what people would think?
I wasn't really worried about what people would think. My friends and family have seen my hair in different styles and colors--long, really short, blonde, etc--so, this was just something else I wanted to try. I was more concerned with whether or not I would like it (since I would be the one dealing with and looking at it every day).

Do you miss anything about your permed hair?
I can honestly say that there is nothing I miss about my permed hair. I love my natural curls! If I really wanted to achieve a permed look,though, all I would have to do is straighten my hair with a flat iron. With natural hair, I have that option! But I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

What advice do you have for women who want to go natural?
Just do it! Do it when you are ready and because you want to do it. It will be the best decision you ever make, and your hair will thank you for it!

No comments: