Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thursday, June 25

Nikki Giovanni in the QC

Nikki Giovanni was in Charlotte today, and I went to hear her speak. She was amazing as expected.

At the end of her speech, she read her renowned poem Ego Trippin'. As I listened to her, I realized that she was talking about a goddess. And since you're a goddess, she was talking about you.

So my dear goddess, here's what she said about you.








Ego Trippin'
I was born in the Congo.

I walked to the Fertile Crescent and built the sphinx.

I designed a pyramid so tough that a star that only glows every one hundred years falls into the center giving divine perfect light.
I am bad.

I sat on the throne drinking nectar with Allah.
I got hot and sent an ice age to Europe to cool my thirst.
My oldest daughter is Nefertiti.
The tears from my birth painscreated the Nile.
I am a beautiful woman.

I gazed on the forest and burned out the Sahara desert.
With a packet of goat's meat and a change of clothes,
I crossed it in two hours.

I am a gazelle so swift, so swift you can't catch me.
For a birthday present when he was three, I gave my son Hannibal an elephant.
He gave me Rome for mother's day.
My strength flows ever on.

My son Noah built an ark and I stood proudly at the helm as we sailed on a soft summer day.
I turned myself into myself and was Jesus.
Men intone my loving name.
All praises all praises, I am the one who would save.

I sowed diamonds in my back yard.
My bowels deliver uranium.'
The filings from my fingernails are semi-precious jewels.
On a trip north, I caught a cold and blew my nose giving oil to the Arab world.
I am so hip even my errors are correct.
I sailed west to reach east and had to round off the earth as I went.
The hair from my head thinned and gold was laid across three continents.

I am so perfect so divine so ethereal so surreal, I cannot be comprehended except by my permission.

I mean...I...can fly like a bird in the sky...

No comments: