Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Sunday, October 11

Redeeming The Time: Tavis Smiley in Charlotte

About a week ago, I started hearing radio announcements about Tavis Smiley making a stop in Charlotte on Saturday for his Nationwide On Your Side financial empowerment tour. My interest was piqued, but I wasn't really planning to go because I knew my Friday night would be busy with work. And I figured I'd be too tired. But when Saturday morning came, I got up, got ready and headed to the convention center to see Tavis. And I'm so glad I did.

The theme of Tavis's address was Redeeming the Time. He talked for an hour on the importance of taking the reigns of our lives and getting serious about using the time we have left, starting today, to serve others and discover the purpose and plan God has for us. If we're honest with ourselves, I'm sure that we can all admit that some of our past days, months, even years may have been spent in idleness, laziness, disillusionment or indifference. We can't get that time back, but we can take responsibility for the present and prepare for the future to ensure we're not standing in the same place tomorrow as we were yesterday. And this refers to finances, careers, relationships, spirituality, etc.

Tavis referenced a few quotes during his speech that I noted:
"Live everyday like it's your last because one day it will be." Quincy Jones
"The unexamined life is not worth living." Socrates

As I exited the convention center, I reflected on how happy I was that I, with God's help, pulled myself out of bed on Saturday morning because I left with a few doses of wisdom and inspiration. It turned out to be exactly what I needed and brought me one step closer to freeing my goddess.


No comments: