Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, May 5

Setting Your Self-Imposed Limitations Free

I rarely frequent clubs, but my girlfriend and I didn’t want to be in the house during Labor Day weekend, so we decided to go to a party. The party ended up being pretty lame, so my friend and I were relegated to people watching…which was hilarious. We got plenty of good laughs from watching desperate underdressed women trying to catch the eye of a few men.

As we were cracking up, I noticed him in front of me, grooving to the music. He was tall and handsome with a splash of style. (I’m a Common/Mos Def kind of girl, so paperboy hats get me every time). He turned and looked at me several times, but never said anything. So, I went back to people watching. And moments later, he was gone.

The party became a little too much for my friend and me. Too smoky. Too loud. Too crowded. So, we decided to leave. As we made our way to the exit, someone grabbed my hand. It was him.

We struck up a conversation, shared a few laughs and exchanged numbers. I was excited as I walked back to my car, but I soon checked myself. I’ve always told myself that I would never meet someone of substance in a club, so the poor guy got Strike #1 before we even had a chance to have a real conversation.

The next day, I looked him up on facebook and we became friends. After I looked at his profile, I noticed that he was 3 ½ years younger than me. Strike #2. I had always told myself that I needed to be with an established older man.

I don’t remember a Strike #3, but starting with two strikes left me uninterested. I had already disregarded him, but he didn’t know that. So, he kept texting and calling me to get together, but I always found an excuse. After several weeks, he was still there. Texting and calling. So finally I decided to go to a community fair that he invited me to. I thought that this would be my opportunity to let him know face-to-face I was uninterested.

But something happened that I never expected. After talking to him, I was completely intrigued. And suddenly, it didn’t matter where I met him or how old he was.

So, we made plans to see each other the next week. And soon after, it was a wrap. I liked him, which soon transformed into infatuation. Now we’re together.

If my boyfriend hadn’t been as persistent as he was, I would have missed out on a great guy.

The reality is that I had imposed so many limitations on this situation before letting the situation reveal opportunities or limitations on its own. Who cares where you meet someone or how old he is if you two share commonalities and a connection?

So, what are your self-imposed limitations? They may be different from mine, but the reality is, we all have them. Whatever they are, identify them then let them go. Because when you do, you’ll simultaneously free your goddess.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Get it lady...congrats to you and your new relationship

Candace Avont said...

thanks lady!