Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Sunday, August 29

The Story Behind The Blog

I was only supposed to be blogging for a year. That's what I told myself, when this whole blogging thing started. Here's the story.

Once upon a time, I wrote an article called Casualty of War, which was published on a networking site for women called MahoganyButterfly.com. A social media entrepreneur named Deon read my article, and we later connected on facebook. In a few conversations, Deon encouraged me to start a blog. He said that a blog could give women a personal perspective into Goddess Zuri and ultimately help them connect with my products. I listened to his suggestions, and honestly considered them.

About two weeks later, I decided I was going to start a blog. The only caveat was that this thing would be a one year project. That's it. When I took an inventory of my life and considered what I was already involved in, I rationed that I would only be able to dedicate a year's worth of time to a blog. I even stated in the About Us copy on the site that this was a "one year blog project." I figured that twelve months of writing would be more than enough to give people an inside look into the makings and direction of Goddess Zuri.

So, I thought of a name for the blog that easily tied into my company, asked a few people to help me format it and started writing.

In the beginning, the blog was a burden. I felt like I needed to post something everyday, and when I didn't, I was hard on myself. I was also confused about what I should write and how personal I should get. Then I wondered if my words were being written in vain because I had no confirmation that people were reading my posts.

About three months into it, though, I found a rhythm, and I determined that my writings would be focused on releasing the inner goddess. I also decided that posting three times a week was reasonable and manageable.

So, over the year, I wrote about goal setting, natural hair, relationships, books, Goddess Zuri specials and myself, among other things.

March 2010 should have represented the last chapter of the story because that marked the one year anniversary of the blog. But by then, I was having too much fun and writing felt too good to stop. So I didn't. And I don't plan to.

I don't get many comments on my posts, but I know I have readers. And I just want to say thank you so much to the women who have read my blog from the beginning. Thank you to the people who repost my articles on facebook and other social networking sites. Thank you to everyone who recommends my site to friends and family members. Thank you to the women I meet at vending events across the southeast who tell me they read my posts and find inspiration in them. And thank you to Deon for encouraging me to blog.

In the spring, the About Us copy was changed from "one year blog project" to "blog project."

THE END.

2 comments:

Deon Go. said...

I can't tell you how humbled and honored I am to be included in your post. I can't believe it's been a year already... it's amazing what can happen because of one little comment and social networking connection. I'm thrilled to see that you're continuing your blogging.

You're a brilliant person and a beautiful presence; there's no telling the number of lives you've touched simply by living yours. I'm blessed to call you a friend... looking forward to seeing what else you do in the next year. You're truly a goddess... continue to shine.

Candace Avont said...

so sweet!! thanks Deon!