Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, May 11

Be Fearless

Be fearless. This simple two-word sentence sums up my personal mission statement. I've made a commitment to myself to be fearless in love, life, work and play.

Because of these two words, I've embarked upon some equally challenging and rewarding experiences. I moved to Chicago immediately after college, a place where I knew nothing and no one, to start my career. I bought a house when I was 24. I started Goddess Zuri when I was 26, having no previous knowledge about designing, constructing garments, importing materials, or running an online store. In 2008, I traveled to Indonesia alone after reading and being inspired by Elizabeth Gilbert's novel, Eat Pray Love. I started blogging two years ago despite my time-management concerns. And most recently, I tried out for the Carolina Panthers TopCats cheerleading team.

I don't have any formal dance training or experience, but I love dancing and movement. So, I went for it. In a little under a month, I challenged myself to learn four routines and their accompanying formations. I continually worked to improve my flexibility, posture and technique throughout the process to advance to the next round of competition. I made it all the way to the final audition where I left everything on the floor. Though I didn't make the squad, I am proud of myself for being fearless, pushing back my limitations, and building character.

2 comments:

None said...

Hi Candace, I luv this article. It's very inspiring and thought-provoking. Got me thinkin' 'bout some things that I've always wanted to do...but never got around to it.

If you don't mind...I'd like to re-blog this article on my blog on Monday. Very inspiring as always.

Candace Avont said...

Hi Donna! thanks for reading. I'm so glad you found some inspiration in it. You can absolutely repost. thanks for thinking of me!